From mid-June to mid-July, I was sick. Not sure with what, but my throat was sore, I had a fever, the chills, I was all achy, I had migraines and I was extremely tired all the time. I had several deadlines at work, so I waited until Saturday and went to CareNow (my first mistake), where they did a strep and mono test which both came back negative, and they diagnosed me with…. wait for it….
A sore freaking throat. Wow.
They gave me an antibiotic and sent me on my way. By Tuesday, I still wasn’t better, so I called them (second mistake) and they called in a prescription for a mixture of Lidocaine and Benadryl that some call Magic Mouthwash. It was terrible – my throat would be numb for 30 minutes and it was so hard to swallow that it just wasn’t worth it.
On Saturday it was still so bad that I went back in to CareNow (third mistake), where they did more tests – all of which came back normal – and prescribed a different antibiotic and some steroids. The steroids made everything better except the fatigue. Until Thursday, when all the other symptoms returned. But I had another deadline, so I waited… And went to CareNow on Saturday. Again. (fourth mistake) More tests, different antibiotics and more steroids. Same results. Except that my white count came back at 21,000 – way above what it should be. So I went back the next day, my white count was lower (17,000) and the steroids again made me feel better, but still tired.
Finally I went to my GP on Tuesday (3 weeks later), where he said to NEVER go back to CareNow again and gave me his card with his cell phone number (HA). I was told that because of everything that I had been on so far that any tests would be inaccurate, so he treated me on the symptoms alone. One more different antibiotic (supposedly a really strong one), and by Thursday I was feeling about 50% better – without any steroids so I could tell it was working (genius).
I was so tired of being in bed that as soon as I started feeling better I got out of bed and started cleaning a little and then decided it was past time to cook again!!!! The kids and the hubs had been surviving on pizza, tacos and wings for a month… Enter the subject of this post!
The cupcakes were OK. I think I would use one of my other chocolate cupcake recipes next time, but if you don’t have a favorite recipe, this one works just fine. The frosting MADE these cupcakes DELICIOUS! I took them to work and they were gone within about an hour of me sending an email blast that there were some in the kitchen. Lots of compliments were given – from family and from coworkers.
Hershey’s “Perfectly Chocolate” Cupcakes (from the back of the cocoa box)
What You Need:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
What to Do With It:
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Makes about 24-30 cupcakes.
Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting (THIS IS “DA BOMB”)
What You Need:
- 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 C butter, room temperature
- 6-8 C powdered sugar (use more or less depending on how stiff you want the frosting to be)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2+ C crushed Oreos (more or less depending on how Oreo-y you want the frosting…)
What to Do With It:
- Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer) whip cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Stir in powdered sugar two cups at a time.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- Stir in crushed Oreos.