This post goes out to my lovely youngest sea star – Erin. Much love to you!
I love meat. Steak, ground beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, fish, eggs, BACON – all super good! To my husband, each one is a separate food group – he LOVES meat. Ha. I don’t love it as much as he does, so I don’t always want to have it be the key feature of a meal.
One of my coworkers asked me a couple of weeks ago if i would be interested in grocery shopping with her for lunches for the work week. I jumped at the chance – easier on the budget AND easier on the diet! The first week, we went to the store without a list (BAD IDEA) we wound up with stuff to make sandwiches, salads and a really good spinach pizza. After that, we decided that it might be a good idea to alternate shopping/cooking weeks and have one person buy groceries and cook one thing at home to bring for one meal, then the next week the other person does the same.
This week fell to me to plan, shop and cook for. While searching my own soul for ideas of cheap, easy lunches that didn’t involve 2 slices of bread and some peppered turkey, I came across a great resource in eatingwell.com. I perused their recipes for a while, did some searching for something summery that didn’t need to be heated and wasn’t heavy, and found a recipe for a Creamy Avocado & White Bean Wrap.
I adapted it a bit, and I have to say, the name doesn’t include anything about the slaw, but that is by far the ROCK STAR of this recipe! I would suggest making twice the slaw and eating it as a side to other things… This recipe is vegetarian and could be made vegan if you leave out the cheese. Make sure to cook your own beans too! It’s cheaper than canned, plus you know exactly what went into those puppies (no lard for veg heads).
Creamy Avocado & White Bean Wrap (AND FREAKIN AWESOME SLAW!!!)
What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2-3 finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from the Mexican aisle of the grocery store, use more for spicier slaw, less for mild – but who would want mild slaw???)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed (or use dried and cook after soaking)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 4 wraps or tortillas
What to Do With All That:
- Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle chile and salt in a medium bowl. Add cabbage, carrot and cilantro; toss to combine.
- Combine beans, avocado, cheese and onion in food processor, pulse until smooth-ish.
- To assemble the wraps, spread about 1/2 cup of the bean-avocado mixture onto a wrap (or tortilla) and top with about 2/3 cup of the cabbage-carrot slaw. Roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut the wraps in half to serve, if desired,